The Academy envisions Hong Kong as an international leader in the development and applications of science, engineering and technology for the benefit of society in a changing political environment. Its mission is to promote the application of scientific and engineering knowledge to optimize Hong Kong’s development as a Special Administrative Region of the nation. The mission is carried out by the following groups of activities, especially to meet the needs of a changing political environment:
1. Providing advice to government, industry and the community.
2. Organizing forums for policy formulation on important public affairs.
3. Undertaking projects on matters of major significance.
4. Fostering and recognizing excellence in engineering science and practice.
5. Maintaining and developing external linkages to facilitate exchange of experience and expertise to promote engagement in global development of science and practice of engineering.