Director, Shun Hing Institute of Advanced Engineering;
Choh-Ming Li Professor of Electronic Engineering; The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Contact Address: Room 327, Ho Sin Heng Engineering Building, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T.
Telephone No.: (852) 39438275
Facsimile No.: (852) 26036868
FHKEng (2010) A3 B3 C3
BEng (1st Class Hons), University of Liverpool(1977), UK; PhD, University of Liverpool (1981), UK
– Fellow, The Institution of Electrical Engineers, UK;
– Fellow, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, HK;
– Fellow, The Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers, USA
Honours, affiliations and other appointments:
– IEEE Third Millennium Award in 2000; the Bronze Bauhinia Star of the HKSAR Government in 2010 and was selected for HKIE Hall of Fame 2010-
– B.S., the Bronze Bauhinia Star of the HKSAR Government in 2010;
– HKIE Hall of Fame 2010;
– S.B.S., the Silver Bauhinia Star of the HKSAR Government in 2017
– Research Officer at the University Bath from 1981 to 82; he joined the then Hong Kong Polytechnic as a Lecturer from 1982 to 84; Since 1984, he has been with the Department of Electronic Engineering of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) where he is currently Choh-Ming Li Professor of Electronic Engineering. He was Department Chairman from 1995 to 1997, Dean of Engineering from 1997 to 2003, Head of Shaw College from 2004 to 2008 and Pro-Vice-Chancellor/Vice President of CUHK between July 2006 and Dec 2014. He also serves as Director of the Shun Hing Institute of Advanced Engineering since 2004
– Member of the Consumer Council from 2001 to 06; Member of Electrical Safety Advisory Committee of the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department from 2002 to 08; Member of the Copyright Tribunal from 2003 to 09; Member of the Hong Kong Quality Assurance Agency Governing Council from 2005 to 09 and Panel Member of the Research Grants Council of Hong Kong SAR from 2005 to 10. He was the Founding Chairman of the Hong Kong Council for Testing and Certification from 2009 till 2014, He was also appointed as Member of the Steering Committee on Innovation and Technology between 2010 and 2016. He is currently Chairman of the Veterinary Surgeons Board of Hong Kong, Chairman of the Nano and Advanced Materials Institute Limited, and member of the Museum Advisory Committee.
– Council member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) from 2002-05, Chairman of the IEEE Hong Kong Section from 1993 to 94, an associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing from 1997 to 2000 and IEEE Signal Processing Letters from 2001 to 03, a member of the Technical Committee of the IEEE Signal Processing Society from 1996 to 2004 and was appointed Editor-in-Chief of the HKIE Transactions between 2001 and 04. He is an Honorary Member of the editorial committee for Journal of Data Acquisition and Processing.
Area of Expertise:
Adaptive digital signal processing, time delay estimation and target localization, blind signal estimation and separation, automatic speech recognition, speaker identification/verification and speech synthesis, and advanced signal processing techniques for wireless communications
Professor Ching is a dedicated scholar and educator. He has engaged himself in frontier research in the areas of wireless communication, signal processing and speech technologies for almost three decades. He has published widely in international top tier journals and conference proceedings, and has successfully supervised over 40 doctoral and master students. He helped CUHK to establish one of the largest research-oriented engineering schools majoring in computer science, information technology and electronic engineering in Hong Kong in the eighties. His contribution to engineering education is largely recognized and his dedication to bringing local professional engagement to the international arena is also well acknowledged by his peers. He also actively participates in technology transfer and many of his research outcomes have been licensed to local and overseas organizations.