Permanent Secretary for Development (Works), Works Bureau
Past Working Title:
Director of Highways (2006 – 2010)
Development Bureau, Works Branch, 18/F West Wing, Central Government Offices, 2 Tim Mei Avenue, Tamar, Hong Kong
Telephone No.: (852) 3509 8278
Facsimile No.: (852) 2521 8387
MHKIE, FICE, FGS, FCInstCES, Hon FCIHT
Honours, affiliations and other appointments
– Justice of Peace;
– Honorary Professor of PolyU;
– Alternate Director of the Board of West Kowloon Cultural District Authority;
– Alternate Director of the Board of Hong Kong International Theme Parks Limited;
– Non-executive Director of the Board of MTR Corporation Limited;
– Member of the Construction Industry Council;
– Member of the Board of the Ocean Park Corporation;
– Member of Strategic Planning Committee, Hong Kong Housing Authority; and
– Member of Building Committee, Hong Kong Housing Authority
Area of Expertise:
Public Administration, Engineering, Transportation
Ir Wai Chi-sing obtained his first degree in civil engineering from the University of Hong Kong, and his master degree in transportation engineering from the Purdue University in the United States. He has professional qualifications in civil, structural and geotechnical engineering.
Ir Wai joined the Hong Kong Government as an Assistant Engineer in August 1980, and since then his career has been closely associated with the development of Hong Kong’s infrastructure. He has served in the Transport Department, the former Territory Development Department, the Highways Department, and the Works Branch of the former Environment, Transport and Works Bureau. He was the Director of the Highways Department from November 2006 to June 2010 and has been appointed Permanent Secretary for Development (Works) since June 2010.
Ir Wai has also been involved in formulating a number of legislations including control of road excavation in Hong Kong, construction workers registration and ensuring security of contract payment in the construction industry.